Birth: June 16, 1965 in Marikina City, Philippines.
Jesuit. Entered the Society of Jesus Philippine Province in May 1998. Ordained to the Priesthood in April 2010. Finished tertianship in June 2013. Pronounced Final Vows in February 2015.
Doctorate in Leadership Studies
Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington, USA, May 2007
Dissertation: The Spiritual Formation of Leaders Based on the Ignatian Tradition
Master in Development Management
Asian Institute of Management (AIM), Makati City, Philippines, May 1993
Graduated with Distinction
Thesis: The Role of the University in Development: The Ateneo de Manila Social Development Complex
Bachelor in Sacred Theology
Loyola School of Theology, Ateneo de Manila University, March 2010
Graduated Summa Cum Laude
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City, Philippines, March 1986
Graduated Class Valedictorian and Cum Laude
Philippine Science High School (1978-1982)
La Salle Greenhills (1972-1977)
Roosevelt College Marikina
Major Work Experiences
- President, Ateneo de Zamboanga University: beginning October 2013
- Regional Trustee, Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines, 2013 to the present; President, ZAMBASULTAPS (a regional network of private schools in Region 9, Philippines), 2013 to the present
- Executive Director, Emmaus Center for Psycho-Spiritual Formation [engaged in the psycho-spiritual formation and accompaniment of lay and religious leaders]: June 2007 to the September 2013. Developed and systematized programs like those on formation for formators, formative leadership, organizational development, and psychotherapeutic treatment and continuing care of Church personnel. Worked for institutional stability and sustainability.
- Faculty, PhD in Leadership Studies Program, Ateneo de Manila University: June 2010 to September 2013. Taught courses in Foundations of Leadership Theory, and Ethics and Spirituality in Leadership. Adviced student researches and dissertations.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Ateneo de Manila University, Ateneo de Davao University, Xavier University, starting 2013.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Ateneo de Naga University: 2010-2013.
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Emmaus Center for Psycho-Spiritual Formation, starting 2013.
- Series Editor, Leadership and Organization Studies, Ateneo de Manila University Press: 2010 to the present.
- For the Society of Jesus Philippine Province: Chair, Commission on Ministries (2011-2016); Member, Social Apostolate Commission (2005-2011), Facilitator of Consultations on Basic Education, Vocation Promotions, Retreat Ministry, and Formation, and others.
- Treasurer and Formator of San Jose Seminary (2010-2013).
- Pastor, San Isidro Chapel, Mariang Ina ng Kapayapaan Parish, Montalban, Rizal (2010-2012)
- Corporation Member, Ateneo de Manila University (2012-present); Member, Board of Trustees, UGAT Foundation (2011-present).
- Consultant and facilitator, Ateneo de Manila University Office for Mission, Identity, and Organizational Development: 2000 – 2004. Designed the Ignatian Spirituality for Education Workshops (ISEWs), Ignatian Leadership Workshops, and other programs for the integration of spirituality and Ignatian formation in Jesuit schools
- Program Officer, Center for Ignatian Spirituality (CIS-Philippines), and Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan (SLB), 2000 – 2002. Helped implement programs on retreat in daily life, Ignatian spirituality in the apostolates. Helped organize and mobilize the religious sector for national political issues (e.g. national elections, EDSA II).
- Assistant professor, Asian Institute of Management, 1996. Taught courses in Development Management, Business Management, and Entrepreneurship. Part of the team that formed the ACE Center for Entrepreneurship with Dr. Eduardo Morato, Jr.
- Consultant, Training Institute for Managerial Excellence, (TIME), 1994. Engaged in consultancy, facilitation, and training projects with government and corporate organizations.
- Instructor, Ateneo de Manila University, 1987 – 1988. Taught courses in Theology of Liberation and Development Studies.
- Deputy Director and Program Director, Ateneo Center for Social Policy and Public Affairs, Ateneo de Manila University, 1988 – 1992. Directed programs related to social policy research, advocacy, communications, and political education of marginalized sectors.
- Program Officer, Office for Social Concern and Involvement, Center for Community Services, Ateneo de Manila University, 1986 – 1988. Engaged in the conscientization and organization of student socio-political organizations and alliances (Alyansa ng mga Kristiyanong Magaaral – AKMA).
- Consultant in strategic planning, development management, and organizational development of the following government and non-governmental organizations:
- Department of Agrarian Reform (1996 – 1997)
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources (1993 – 1994)
- Department of Trade and Industry (1993)
- Land Bank of the Philippines (1994 – 1996)
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP) (1996 – 1997)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) (1995)
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) (1994 – 1995)
- OXFAM America [US, Cambodia, Vietnam] (1995 – 1997), OXFAM Great Britain (1995 – 1997), OXFAM Hong Kong (1995 – 1997)
- Kindernothilfe [India] (1995 – 1996)
- Community-Based Coastal Resource Management Resource Center (2005 – present)
- Process design, facilitator, and speaker in the following organizations: Xavier University, Ateneo de Davao University, Ateneo de Naga University, Ateneo de Zamboanga University, Xavier School, Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health, Ateneo Graduate School of Business, Ateneo School of Government, National Convention of Campus Ministers, Convention of Religious Brothers in the Philippines, Religious of the Virgin Mary, East Asian Pastoral Institute, Loyola School of Theology, Jesuit Conference of Asia Pacific, and other school, religious and non-governmental organizations.
Major Publications, Papers, and Presentations
Ignatian Spirituality and Leadership: Forming Capacities and Dispositions in a Complex World, Ateneo de Manila University Press, still to be released.
“Ignatian Spirituality and Leadership: Transcendence, Discernment, Companionship” in Religious Life Asia Vol. XIV, Number 4, October-December 2012, Institute for Consecrated Life in Asia.
“Leadership, Transcendence, and Spirituality: Insights from Bernard Lonergan, SJ” in Defining Filipino Leadership. Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2011.
“The Grace of Office: The Call of Leadership and Transcendence” in Landas Journal Volume 23, Number 2, Loyola School of Theology, 2009.
“Spirituality, Leadership, and Governance” in Spirituality: Contexts and Challenges Lecture Series VIII. Institute of Spirituality in Asia, 2009.
“The Spirituality of Leadership: The Lonergan Insight” in Landas Journal Volume 22, Number 2, Loyola School of Theology, 2008.
“Ignatian Leadership: Ignatius Counsels on Power and Conversation” in Windhover Philippine Jesuit magazine, June 2006.
“The Ignatian Tradition of Magis: Magnanimity, Self-Transcendence, Discernment, and Spirituality in Leadership.” Paper presented at the International Leadership Association 7th Annual Conference, Emergent Models of Global Leadership, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, November 2005.
“Re-Imagining Power in Leadership: Reflection, Integration, and Servant Leadership” in The International Journal of Servant-Leadership Volume 1, Number 1, 2005. Gonzaga University in collaboration with The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.
“Renewing Minds, Hearts, and Souls: The Call of Leadership and Spirituality” in Windhover Philippine Jesuit magazine, 2004.
Co-Author, Learning to Change, Learning for Change: A Guidebook on Organization Development for NGOs. Community-Based Natural Resources Management Learning Center, May 2004.
Co-Author, Trends and Traditions, Challenges and Choices: A Strategic Study of Philippine NGOs. Ateneo Center for Social Policy and Public Affairs, 1992.